- Vitiligo is a disorder where the skin loses its original colour in parts.
- Usually, the colour of the skin is given by a pigment named melanin, which are produced by the melanocytes. In vitiligo, the melanocytes are either destructed or its function is disturbed.
- It can occur on any part of the body. It may also affect hair and the inside of the mouth.
- The extent and the distribution of the colour loss cannot be ascertained.
- It is not transmitted from person to person and is not a life-threatening disorder.
When the function of the melanocytes are disturbed / destructed, the involved patches of skin become lighter or white. It may be related to:
- Heredity – with a positive family history of Vitiligo
- Auto-immune – Our body’s immune system will mistakenly destroy its own cells (melanocytes)
- Sometimes – Stress, sunburn, or Constant exposure/irritation from the industrial chemicals can initiate the event.
- Generalised Vitiligo – affects many parts of the body symmetrically.
- Segmental Vitiligo – Affects only on one side or few parts of the body. It usually progresses for a period of one or two years and gradually stops.
- Localised/Focal vitiligo
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:
Usually, the discoloration first start from the sun-exposed areas, such as the face, around eyes, lips, hands, feet and eventually spreads to other parts of the body.
- Loss of skin color in patches.
- The patches are variable in size and shape.
- Premature graying of the hair – scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or beard
- Loss of color in the mucous membrane of the mouth and nose
- Social or psychological distress
- Sunburn and increased risk of skin cancer
- Iritis – vision problems.
- Hearing loss
- Usually, diagnosis is made by clinical findings
- In some cases, biopsy is done to differentiate vitiligo from other hypopigmentary disorders.
- Thyroid profile – free T3, free T4, TSH
- Antinuclear antibody
- Anti-thyroid peroxidase antibody
- CBC count with differential count
- Homoeopathy is able to give wonderful results in many cases of Vitiligo.
- In homoeopathy, the patient is analysed on various aspects of mental, physical and familial attributes and also a complete study is done on the psychological-environment that the patient has gone through in his life.
- Distinctive attention is given to every patient individually and constitutionally to find out the probable cause and treatment protocol is arrived at for selection of correct remedies based on totality of symptoms.
- It gradually helps the patient to improve symptomatically as a result of holistic approach.