- Gastritis is an inflammation, irritation or erosion of the lining of the stomach.
- It is one of the commonest diseases of the gastro-intestinal tract.
- It can occur suddenly or gradually.
- It produces discomfort and complications, if left untreated.
- Acute Gastritis
- Chronic Gastritis
- Atrophic Gastritis
- Eosinophilic Gastritis
- Auto-immune Gastritis
- Foods – Spicy food, highly seasoned foods, foods rich in fats, unhygienic food stuffs
- Excessive alcoholic use
- Use of certain medications like pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Helicobacter pylori – Chronic
- Bile reflux ( backflow flow of bile into the stomach )
- Infections – caused by bacteria, virus
- In association with other diseases, e.g. Crohn’s disease, parasitic infections.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:
- Pain in upper abdomen
- Abdominal bloating
- Loss of appetite
- Vomiting of blood
- Presence of blood in the faeces
- Burning sensation in upper abdomen and in chest
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Complete Blood analysis
- Screening test for Helicobacter pylori
- Faecal occult blood test
WHEN TO CONSULT A DOCTOR
We experience mild discomfort in the stomach now and then but it is necessary to consult a doctor in any one of the following conditions endures:
- When the symptom persists for longer duration.
- When the severity of the symptoms are intensified.
- When it affects the daily routine.
- When the vomits and faeces are mixed with blood and appear black.
- When it causes significant weakness.
- When the symptoms occur after the medication such as pain relievers or anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Homoeopathy has an excellent scope in the treatment of gastritis.
- The art of case taking helps to elicit the probable cause of the disease and to understand the nature of the diseases well as the person (individualisation – physical, emotional and mental states) , which is the speciality of homoeopathy and makes it unique amongst other Medicinal Systems.
- Helps to relieve the presenting symptoms. It improves the appetite and digestive process, thus keeping the person energetic and healthy.
- Prevents the relapse without any side-effects.
- Helps to reduce the severity of the disease and prevents its complications, which may sometimes prove to be fatal if unattended and ignored.