Renal calculi, commonly known as kidney stones, are solid substances that are mostly made up of certain types of crystals. Though commonly called kidney stones, these substances can be present anywhere in the urinary tract like the kidneys, ureters, bladder, or urethra.
Renal calculi, commonly known as kidney stones, are solid substances which are mostly made up of certain types of crystals. Though commonly called as kidney stones, these substances can be present anywhere in the urinary tract like the kidneys, ureters, bladder, or urethra. Dehydration is a major risk factor for kidney stone formation.
TYPES OF STONES:
- Calcium- the most common types. It can be calcium oxalate or phosphate
- Uric acid- Very common in males. Patients having gout suffer from these kinds of stones. Urine will be quite acidic.
- Struvite- one can get these stones while suffering from any infections. It is because the bacteria accumulate ammonia in urine. These stones are made of magnesium, ammonium and phosphate.
- Cystine- it is from a chemical which is naturally made in body. These happen due to gentic tendencies.
These all are also responsible for absenteeism at school and can interfere growth and development of child
• Pain in abdominal region on either right or left side
• Blood in urine
• Recurrent urine infections leading to fevers
• Pains travelling to the back
• Difficulty in passing urine
Ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis is the primary test to be done.
CT scan will be more precise.
A normal blood check will help to know about infection in the body.
Most small stones from kidney pass through the ureter and then to the bladder on their own in few days to few weeks. Certain home remedies like drinking barley water also helps. Most time one has to take some pain killer medicines so to avoid pain while the stone passes out. Many of them undergo lithotripsy, a surgical method to remove stone
There is high possibility of stones to recur. So prevention is better than cure. One should restrict the intake of calcium supplements. If the person is having gout then certain food products like excess of milk, pulses should be avoided. Thus, to prevent formation of stones
In homeopathy, there are many remedies available which are sweet to taste and one can be free from this stone problem without much hassles. Homeopathy helps in removing the tendency also.